Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Urban Literature

I recently had a short dicussion among my pen sister and brothers on facebook about the redundancy of street literature. We were talking about how all of those types of books were starting to sound the same. I have to say that I totally agree with this. It's very rare that I state my opinion on anything because I never want to offend anyone. Though most street lit sound remotely the same, I can't say that every single one that I've read was good. I support my pen sisters/brothers in the urban fiction genre who love to write street lit, but it's very important to embrace different types of urban fiction, if that makes any sense.

Most readers are used to a certain writing style and are into anything Thuggish/Hood like and instantly reject anything they're not used to. The good news for those authors who write this type of style - their books sell. Bad news for those who don't write street lit - their books don't.

The problem is, a lot of us are afraid to say anything about it. Well, I know I'm like that and I'm honestly trying to change my way of thinking and it's only fair that our voices be heard. I don't want to start a riot or anything like that. But this could be quite discouraging for most of us. I have to admit, I have asked myself this question constantly - "Is this story even good?" "Should I start writing the way other people write since that's what most readers want?" Herein lies the problem.

If I try to write like anybody else, it won't come out right. It would seem forced and I'd end up with crappy work. In this industry I've learned that you should write what you want to write, not what other people or even publishers want you to write. Follow your own heart. It's hard. But in the middle of it all, you'll be glad you do. So what you didn't get as many positive reviews as you'd like because your work is different! There is going to be someone who loves your work. I say this from experience. I had reviewer say that when she read one of my books, she thought it was "fresh" and she loved it.

I thought I write about this because it's a constant battle with of all of us who choose to write something different from street literature. But this blog could be for anyone who's work is unique. Your day is coming, so stay encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment